[thelist] [Fwd: WWW and expectations (was QT detection)]

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue Mar 26 10:09:01 CST 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: WWW and expectations (was QT detection)
From: GregHolmes at aol.com
Date: Tue, March 26, 2002 10:07 am
To: <thelist at evolt.org>

Chris Mason (masonc at masonc.com) wrote:

>All of this mish-mash of broken standards, unpredictable css, java,
>javascript, html, xhmtl, DOM and devious browser developers

You mean the WWW?  Where we can deliver information to vastly
different clients, on vastly different platforms?  Was there something
unexpected about this?

>makes FlashMX look awefully tempting. I feel like adopting FlashMX for
>client side and PHP on the server gets me away from all the crap, would
>give me a reliable delivery of content without messing around with all
>these gotchas, and I would only lose a few people who cannot or will not
>install flash

So instead, you are going to assume, or (ahem) require, one specific
client.  Well, that's one way of dealing with it I suppose.  Good luck.

>Comments?

I just don't see what is so hard about this.  It's only a "mish-mash"  if
you were expecting uniformity in clients and platform.  Given the
history and mission of the WWW, why would you expect that?

Greg Holmes
gregholmes at aol.com