[thelist] targeting effectively

PB&J pb-j at attbi.com
Tue Mar 26 10:41:00 CST 2002

Ben Dyer

> There is a serious problem in the web development community regarding the
> callousness towards the disabled.

There is? According to whom?

Defining "serious problem" for starters might give this statement some
factual and/or cognitive meaning.

>"It restricts what I can do," "it's more difficult to implement the bleeding
>edge cool shit," these are the lamest, most selfish excuses I've ever heard in
>my life.

That may or may not be true (the lame excuse perspective you hold) but OTOH
trying to make the WWW the ONE and ONLY area in the entire universe that is
'equitable' and 'fair' and 'universally accessible' by anyone and everyone
may be YOUR goal/aspiration but it certainly isn't a goal of each and
everyone who puts up a web site.

> This is about access, people.  Providing access for *everyone*, not just
> people who happen to have IE 5.5 and no visual, auditory, physical and
> mental impairments.

This world, this life, this universe is full of inequities and access is
'limited' in many areas based on any number of factors. Because of visual
impairment by some/few mean that everyone is to be regimented to reading
books with 72 pt. type?

>Does anyone ever bother for two seconds to think about how others might use
what you create?

Not in the least - in fact I don't even consider it for a single second.
Would you ask this question to a sculptor? Illustrator? Auto designer?

This constant drone about how each and every web site should fulfill the
needs, wants and aspirations of every single viewer with any moronic browser
and/or system set-up is inane.

But it certainly does provide for interesting reading as some of the wannabe
purists wring their hands over the 'ethics' of web site development or
bemoan the fact that Netscape 2.x can't do this or that - pure comedy.

> It is not difficult.
> It is not hard.
> It does not cost a fortune.
> And, bottom line, if you don't give a crap about accessibility, it's
> bigotry: a narrow-minded intolerance of others.

Not really - personally I have nothing against handicapped people as
individuals but as a organized group they're fairly annoying. I mean they
already get all the really good parking spaces - so what's the beef?

> And excuse me for being a pissed-off hothead, but there's no excuse for
> pure disregard for accessibility.

In your opinion..............

>I do understand that some are learning and I do understand that most of you
>understand that people on the internet are more than just a statistic or a
>percentage...

So I guess you're like a self-proclaimed 'web ethicist' - noted.

Any chance you could climb down off of the cross - some of your fans might
need the firewood.

Thanks for sharing.