[thelist] targeting: another dimension

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 26 10:44:17 CST 2002

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
>
> There is a file on your hard drive named: IEXPLORE.EXE. Some you
> might not have this file, in which case you can use NETSCAPE.EXE

heh... i was spoiled by all the ttys i used 10 years ago when i was
gophering like a crazed Caddyshack extra...

[...]
> Before like maybe 1995, most people with an internet connection could
> do gopher, but not the web. Gopher people probably had the same
> criticism initially about the www vs. gopher as I'm hearing now about
> requiring JavaScript vs. not.

i was an avid gopherer (?) back in the day... and if i recall, there
were pretty few debates about gopher... if anything, many folks
who ran gopher servers thought it would alleviate their increasing
traffic concerns...

> I can't find a consumer computer that you can't turn on and browse to
> a (well coded) website that has JavaScript and it work fine. Flash too
> for that matter.

so i went to the Mac store this weekend... pulled up a site... the JS
broke... kinda funny...

IOW, i can find dozens...

> You have to mess with things for JavaScript _not_to work ... so if a
> site doesn't work because it requires JavaScript, is that the fault of
> the designer or whoever disabled JavaScript?

no, you don't.... if i build a JS app and it works for me, i can
guarantee it won't work for you just by poor coding...

in that case, it's the fault of the designer...

if the site itself fails to work because the JS is busted, it's the fault
of the designer...

if i intentionally disable JS and the site doesn't work and you
haven't told me, it's the fault of the designer...

blaming the user is a cop-out...