[thelist] targeting effectively

PB&J pb-j at attbi.com
Tue Mar 26 11:43:12 CST 2002

Alastair Murdoch

 > If you want some personal stuff up there, fine, who cares if the only
people
> who can see it is you and your dog. Thats not what this is about.

Uh huh - so tell me what it "is" about then.

> Theres a difference between doing your own thing and pushing boundarys in
> your own space and blocking people from information they are entitled to see
> simply because you can't be bothered accommodating them.

My 'own' space or anyone else's 'space' is what they as private
individuals/corporations chose to do with their own private money. If the
CSS-purists can effect how PUBLIC monies are spent on the WWW then that's
the way it works in countries with an election process.

But if your crowd thinks for a single minute that the US Congress or even
some state legislatures are going to mandate the mediocrity you're promoting
- good luck.

You'll need it.

> If we employed this idea to print, maybe. Newspapers would be huge and we'd
> have ran out of trees yonks ago. On the web however, make your text
> re-sizable and accessible to screenreaders etc. and everybodys happy, THAT'S
> why there such a big deal about it. Do it right and you don't need to make
> everything in 72pt, those that require it can adjust it themselves.

That's too funny to even comment on.

Thanks for the good laugh.

> nope, it can work quite well, lots of people have given lots of examples.
> The point is, the web ISN'T going to be as good on an old browser, but it
> doesn't take much effort to at least get the information accross

Well then - good luck.

Redux.

> I'd like to think the person designing my car was thinking about how I'd use
> it, what side of the road I drive on etc. etc.

Correct - and if this imaginary auto designer designs a car which doesn't
'work' (to use your phraseology) then that specific car won't sell.

See many Yugos in your neighborhood?

It's called - free market. Works quite well - what the WWW does NOT need is
the input of politicians much less legislation through committee meetings in
Zern. Pretty simple concept.

>As for sculptors and illustrators, we're sort of back to the 'own space' idea,
>they can do what they want, it's art. But if they want me to use it, they
>better consider me.

So someone is holding a gun to the head of Little Johhny Dark to force him
to use a browser/text reader and look at web sites?

ROFLMAO

This line of argument just gets loonier and loonier.................