[thelist] Browser Stats

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Tue Mar 26 11:53:01 CST 2002

I have an idea.  I would like to create a list of browser stats from a
variety of different sites and post them at one, easy to read location.
There are a few scattered links with one or two pieces of information, but
nothing that gives a full picture.

There are a few sources of browser stats that I thought of:

1) Top ten e-commerce URL destinations (e.g. Amazon, e-Bay, etc.)
2) Top ten general news destinations (e.g. CNN)
3) Top five search engines (e.g. Google, YAHOO!)
4) Counting software (e.g. TheCounter.com)
5) Top computer related destinations (e.g. Slashdot)

The idea would be to get a few of the sites in each category to offer us
their summary data.  We don't need to disclose the company other than it is
a "top ten e-commerce" site.  We can offer the data by category or in
aggregate.

1) Is there any competitive advantage that a company has in not disclosing
this information?
2) If so, by offering to mask their information would it be more likely that
they would provide the information?
3) Does anyone have access to people in these companies that I could
approach to get the data?
4) Would you as a designer, find the extremely helpful?

Thanks,
Josh