[thelist] two few CF formatting function ?'s

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Tue Mar 26 16:14:01 CST 2002

Raymond Camden wrote:

> StripCR ONLY removes the \r char, or Chr(13). The example code uses both
> Chr(10) and Chr(13), so, on display, you still see line breaks.

For reference: chr(10) is the "LF" or line feed character, left over (I
think) from weird compatibility issues and competing standards and
conversions to and from typewriters and terminals and mainframes. (I'm
sure I'm showing my youth and naivete here, so if one of you
older-and-wiser types wants to set me straight on the background, I'm
sure we'd all appreciate it.)

In modern applications, there really is no "CR" that I've been able to
determine, at least most of the time; it's always the combination,
"CRLF". Stripping both the ASCII 10 and ASCII 13 characters is the only
way to be thorough.

The "Carriage Return" is when the typewriter carriage (the ink-on-paper
part) is pushed back to the left after moving across the page. The "Line
Feed" is when the paper is moved up one line, allowing you to type new
stuff without typing over the old stuff. Why these concepts apply to any
software developed in the last 20 years, I don't know. :)

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net