[thelist] targeting effectively

Eike Pierstorff eike.p at t-online.de
Tue Mar 26 22:17:01 CST 2002

> > This world, this life, this universe is full of inequities
> and access
> > is 'limited' in many areas based on any number of factors.
> Because of
> > visual impairment by some/few mean that everyone is to be regimented
> > to reading books with 72 pt. type?

The "few" visually impaired account to about 40 million adults (16 years
or older) here in Germany alone who use glasses or contact lenses, plus
an unkown number of people who need glasses but don't use them [1].
There are about 85 million people in Germany. To me this justifies some
little effort to make web sites accessible to the visual impaired. I
don't know numbers from other countries, but I think the number of
disabled/impaired people is mostly underestimated.

-- eike

p.s. Allensbach Institute (that's were the number is from) says that
more young people buy glasses because they need glasses when working
with Computers. I guess this proves my point - it seems to be wiser to
design software for people instead the other way round.

[1] http://www.sehen.de/presse/Allensbach_lang/allensbach_lang.html

eike pierstorff
eike.p at t-online.de
inhabitant1 at davenant.net

"The gods do not protect fools. Fools are protected by more capable
fools."
(Larry Niven)