[thelist] Article validation on evolt.org?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Mar 27 06:41:08 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Stéphane

It's largely an artefact of the people who have the rights to review, edit
and approve articles being a group of volunteers with day jobs, rather than
full-time, professional editors.

There are number of factors which tend to speed up article approval:
1) Being time-dependent (so News pieces tend to go up very quickly)
2) Being non-technical or code based (so no technical review required)
3) Being technical in an area an admin knows very well (Perl, ASP,
ColdFusion, Apache, Oracle, IA, Usability, Accessibility) so a review can
happen quickly
4) Being non-contentious (so there's no 'do we really want a flame
war/letters from lawyers about this')
5) Having clean HTML, written to evolt standards
(http://evolt.org/guide_code/index.html), so not much HTML editing required
6) Being well-written (http://evolt.org/writers_guidelines/index.html
http://evolt.org/how_to_how_to/index.html
http://evolt.org/job_faq/index.html) so not much editing required
7) Not having any technical requirements like image upload to the site, or
demo application installation
8) Not competing with a similar article
9) Being something an admin is interested in
10) Not being submitted at a time when admins (or the admin(s) with
knowledge of the article's technical subject matter) are busy

Or, to summarise, if it's obvious what needs to be done, and easy to do, it
tends to get done quickly unless other things get in the way.

None of this is formalised in any kind of official prioritisation process -
it's just the way it tends to work. There are probably other factors too.

Yes, some articles take too long in the queue. We're aware that sometimes
we could do better at this, and give each other regular kicks up the
backside to get on with it. Your query is another one, so thankyou.

Cheers
Martin
(on behalf of evolt admins)

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org