[thelist] Simple Database Embedding

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 08:14:00 CST 2002

--- Jay Blanchard <jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> ...lots of opinions...
> </snip>
>
> You can use almost any RDMS (M$ SQL Server, M$ Access, mSQL, MySQL,
> PostgresSQL, Oracle, DB2, etc.), with almost any database->web
> connection,
> retrieval, update, etc. language (PERL DBI, ASP, PHP, etc.) to
> achieve the
> results you are looking for. Some are much more suited for each other
> (i.e.
> PHP has native support functions for many databases, including
> MySQL). Very
> popular, for many reasons right now, is LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL,
> PHP).
> Many Linux distros generally come with a version of Apache, MySQL,
> and PHP
> already installed and only requiring minor configuration to get up
> and
> running.

I very much agree, however I frown on the term LAMP.  For one, it is
amorphous in defining what language is in use, while being too
particular about what OS is in use.  "AMP" opens the door to various
OSs (*BSD, commercial, Windows).  And since it is a newish term, can be
used to pinpoint the language as PHP, which is the superior language
for the task at hand.

> One of the great things is that all of the LAMP technologies are open
> source
> and are constntly being improved and updated. Another great thing is
> that if
> you don't have access to a Linux box, *frown*, is that there are
> versions of
> Apache, MySQL, and PHP available for the M$ platform.
>
> IMHO, LAMP is the way to go.

Completely agreed.. but lets just drop the 'L'  :)  and not forget
FreeBSD/OpenBSD is an excellent platform as well.

Hans Z.
New York PHP
http://nyphp.org