[thelist] Embedded database

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Fri Mar 29 10:14:01 CST 2002

I am creating a web application that depends on a database.  I want to
eventually distribute the application to others, providing a sample
database that the end-user can use.  I am lokoing for an inexpensive
database that I can embed and distribute with my application.  In the
past I have used MS Access, but I am looking for something to be used
cross-platform.

It should be able to handle a fair bit of load, have a small footprint,
and be easy to distribute with the application.  I don't mind paying for
  the database software, but I don't want to have to pay a license fee
for each copy I distribute.

Ruled out the following:
MS Access - not cross platform
MySQL - licensing fees too expensive