[thelist] Embedded database

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Fri Mar 29 10:26:01 CST 2002

<snip>
I am creating a web application that depends on a database.  I want to
eventually distribute the application to others, providing a sample
database that the end-user can use.  I am lokoing for an inexpensive
database that I can embed and distribute with my application.  In the
past I have used MS Access, but I am looking for something to be used
cross-platform.
</snip>

I have another, cost-free, suggestion. Just include the database creation
and population scripts written in ANSI SQL-92 or 99 (so as to be almost
universally accepted), and provide multiple connections into the database
for the user such as;

(in the CONNECTION file or some such thing)
#If you are using M$ SQL Server uncomment the next line
#connection to M$ SQL Server

#If you are using MySQL uncomment the next line
#connection to MySQL

So on and so forth. This prevents you having to license and the user can use
his/her existing database.

Just a thought...

Jay