[thelist] Site search tools

Amy Clements amy.clements at legalservices.gov.uk
Mon Apr 8 05:44:01 CDT 2002

> Greetings list,
>
> We're looking for a search tool we can use for searching our company web
> site.  It must handle PDF's and be reasonable priced.  Google is not
> customizable in it's look, and I don't even know if it will do PDF's.
> Atomz is VERY reasonably priced at $00.00 for sites under 500 pages, but
> the free version will not do PDF's.
>
> The paid version?  "...ranges from $15,000 to $75,000 with most pricing
> falling into the $25-$35,000 range depending on the needs of your Web
> site."
>
> Not reasonble.
>
> Any one know of a good tool?

We use Inktomi on our site (for details see www.inktomi.com).  It handles PDFs fine (and pretty much any other type of file - there's an editable list in the admin side), and you can set it *not* to index them if that is your preference.  It's reasonably flexible, but the admin interface isn't what I'd call intuitive or friendly.  I don't have details of what we're paying for it, but I doubt is anywhere near what you've been quoted.  Worth a look.

Hope that helps,
Amy.