[thelist] [Fwd: Flash vs. HTML]

Michael Mell mike at nthwave.net
Tue Apr 9 19:07:00 CDT 2002

Thanks all for replies to Flash vs. HTML.

My initial thought was that Flash is ubiquitous enough that the HTML version
would be unnecessary. I thought I read on this list recently that Flash had
90% penetration. However, this page:
http://www.matterdesign.com/flash.htm
says the Flash installed base is a little less than 70% in Netscape. Numbers
for IE are harder to tabulate.

The consensus here is do both versions.

Liam DelaHunty wrote:

> However, your client want to have a "snappy" site, and let everyone see it.
> So here you should go for the Holy Grail... separate content from
> presentation.
>
> Shove all the text into a database and call it into the flash or html using
> MySQL/PHP or whatever your favourite db/script language is...

Acutally, I've got that angle nailed. I have built my own CMS in Python, for
building static pages. It's all I need to sip from that sought-after chalice.
I call it "Elements".

Although Elements is not quite fully documented, it's almost so. I keep
putting off releasing due to client work interference and feature creep.

Maybe I'll get it out there some day.

mike[at]nthwave.net
llemekim         YahooIM
415.455.8812     voice