[thelist] Redoing a site's design from the grounds up

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Wed Apr 10 18:58:01 CDT 2002

My goal when writing any site (including personal sites)
is to give the user the illusion that my site was
designed for their resolution and browser.  Navigation
is clear (hopefully anyway), even if it isn't always
traditional looking (my previous site design had books
sitting on a bookshelf used as navigation).

I aim for classical, not corporate (this usually lets me
get away with not having to redesign too often).  I also
have done a few "liquid paintings" for the web.

Most "designers" probably consider me someone who is
stuck in the "dark ages" of design, because I use tables
instead of css for positioning.  I have no plans to
change this until Netscape 4.x stops being the #1 non-IE
browser.

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://bittersweet2.com

4/10/2002 4:57:51 PM, s t e f
<notabene at members.evolt.org> wrote:

>Evolters,
>
>I'm faced with a few questions about my personal site.
>
>I've noticed that the more a site looks professional,
the less people tend
>to write to its owner to
congratulate/comment/criticize.

>I was wondering if any of you here has ever thought
about this
>kind-of-large, not-too-specific question.
>
>Namely:
>- What pitfalls would you avoid? (like, what would give
your site too
>professioanl an appearance) -- if any
>- What navigational tricks wouldn't you drop at any
cost?