[thelist] Re: Search engines and dynamic content

Marcia Welter mhwelter at welterweb.com
Wed Apr 10 22:05:01 CDT 2002

Even if Google puts dynamic pages into the index, how they rank for search
terms is quite another story. They do have the capability, but unless
they've got Page Rank and some degree of optimization, the won't be found.
People look for phrases and pages have to come up under searches for them.
Being *in* the index doesn't mean a thing - all the PR0 pages are, but
they're at the bottom.

The category headings and the word poster at the top of the pages are
graphics - and there's no evidence to prove that alt tags, while indexed by
some, are worth near as much as text headers done proportionately from H1 to
H4 or H6. So this is the extent of the text that there is to be indexed on
those pages. Ccontact doesn't relate to searches and would have to be
spammed up like when preparing Inktomi optimized pages. :-)

Hope it's ok if I copy and paste some text from a few the static pages, but
I believe it's important to demonstrate a point.

Movies page:
Please note that these posters are REPRINTS, not originals.
Music page:
Click to view a featured poster below, or browse alphabetically on the left.
Television page:
Click to view a featured poster below, or browse alphabetically on the left.
Humor page:
Click to view a featured poster below, or browse alphabetically on the left.

Point made. With that little text and percentage wise more text being the
navigation and other elements which repeat on all of the pages, as well as
identical code, search engines might be inclined to interpret that they're
dynamically generated "cookie cutter" pages. That is enough for search
engines to flag for spamming with duplicate content on inter-linked interior
site pages. Not all of Google's PR0 penalty came from linking to link farms
and FFAs. There HAVE been people penalized for duplicate content within the
site.

I personally wouldn't count on those to rank without adding more volume of
individualized, optimized text; I'd add text for sure as well as optimizing
with H2 and H3 tags and page titles.

>From the Overture keyword selection help page,
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/
keeping in mind that they lump together plural and singular, and in this
case people would more than likely search for plural though it's not a bad
idea to have both if it's possible:

Number of Overture searches:

81124  movie posters - 1,080,000 pages returned at Google. That page won't
hack it.
3435  old movie posters  - only 334,000 to compete against - easy as pie,
but there's no page optimized for it, and ideally they should be on separate
pages for maximum results so the phrases aren't diluted.

1453 searches for grateful dead posters - not many, but only 43,200 pages at
Google competing for the Deadhead market for those items. Not only can't the
Dead page be located from the static pages, but this is what the URL looks
like:

http://www.moviepostershop.com/people_sub.php?action=displayitem&cat=18&code
=6692&type=1

How will anyone searching for them at search engines know that those posters
are on the site? How will the search engines know? Will it be ranked and
found?

If there's a big budget, an option is Inktomi's Direct Feed program. You pay
and they don't care what the URLs look like. Doesn't help with Google, but
MSN is OK as long as the PPC isn't loaded first, and with AOL.

I'd add text and rewrite the URLs, at least down to 2 parameters so they can
be hand submitted some places. I rest my case.

Marcia
www.welterweb.com

Addendum as food for thought:

Overture Searches done in February 2002