[thelist] Date and Time issue Worldwide

Hans Zaunere zaunere at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 18:09:01 CDT 2002

> I'm running Windows NT 4.0
>
> Do you have examples of UNIX timestamps? Its been a while since I've
> sat
> down at a UNIX box.

A UNIX timestamp is simply a signed int, like 1013541409.  It is the
number of seconds from 1970 or so (http://php.net/time).  Internally,
all OS's use this to track time (although Window's uses 1980 or so as
the epoch).

MySQL (and most other DBs, although I've seen Oracle is a little
flakey) have nice functions for converting/getting/handling timestamps.
 Take a look at UNIX_TIMESTAMP() and FROM_UNIXTIME() in the MySQL docs,
for example.

Hans Z.
New York PHP
http://nyphp.org