[thelist] (Intel + Linux) vs (Sun + Solaris)

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Fri Apr 12 20:09:01 CDT 2002

You expect a lot out of your servers.  Why would you use
personal computer hardware to do the job of hardware
specifically designed for servers?  It would be better
if you stuck with the Sun hardware.

Linux should not even be considered, especially if
reliability is one of your concerns.  My husband works
at an ISP and is switching over their wireless towers
from Linux to OpenBSD, because the Linux boxes kept
crashing all the time.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

Take a look at a listing of web servers with the longest
up times.  A good majority are BSD boxes (notice that
there are only 2 Linux servers on the top 50 list).

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://bittersweet2.com

4/12/2002 7:50:59 PM, Mo Martin <mo_ee at bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>We're running into capacity limits on our web hardware
and my head
>technical guy is suggesting a switch from Solaris
running on Sun
>hardware to Linux running on Intel processors. I trust
him but want
>some additional opinions.
>
>It's a mid-sized corporate site serving about a million
visitors a
>month. 4M pages a month about 50-75% of which are fed
from the
>database. Steady, predictable growth but quite rapid --
more than
>doubling each year. The site serves pages and data
sheets, no
>transactions or e-commerce.
>
>We run three Solaris machines (Sun CPUs) now but one
does all the
>work. It runs Sybase 7 and Cold Fusion 4.5, and Apache.
It's a
>three-year-old old machine with dual 330 MHz
processors. The other
>machines are single-processor 300 MHz versions just
serving HTML,
>mail, and PDFs. One also runs Lyris, a list server, at
fairly low
>volume. All the machines are at a co-lo -- we own and
run them, they
>house them and provide bandwidth.
>
>The choice is between buying a newer Sun server and
RAID array; or
>going with a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 with RAID array for
around $4500.

>He also is suggesting we consolidate our processes. We
have Cold
>Fusion and Sybase on one machine; and two separate
machines sharing
>the HTML serving and mail functions. He wants to put it
all on one