[thelist] (Intel + Linux) vs (Sun + Solaris)

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Sat Apr 13 11:55:00 CDT 2002

4/13/2002 4:27:45 AM, Matt Liotta <mliotta at r337.com>
wrote:

>This is just plain FUD. Just because someone wants to
use an Intel based
>solution doesn't mean they have to use personal
computer hardware. There are
>plenty of Intel based hardware that was specifically
designed for the
>requirements of a data center. In fact you can even get
telco grade hardware
>with Intel chips if you would like.

Have you tried real hardware before?  I never said not
to go intel (being an AMD person, I actually would say
that...).  There was very little foresight put into
making the i386 arcitecture, and as a result, we have to
work around the same limitations we did back in the
80's.

>Possibly your husband's ISP should hire some people
that know how to
>administer Linux properly because Linux in and of
itself is not the problem.

>-Matt

They have 3 people who know how to "administer Linux
properly", and none of them can go back in time and
prevent mistakes made by the people writing Linux.
There are still issues with Linux relating to PCMCIA,
and there were 2 other seperate Linux bugs that were
causing the crashes (it took them 2 months to fix
these).  So, Linux in and of itself *was* the problem.

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://bittersweet2.com