[thelist] XML parsing the homemade way

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Apr 14 14:07:13 CDT 2002

On Apr 14, Daniel Fascia had something to say about [thelist] XML parsing...

>I have looked at some of the XML parsers available in various languages and it would seem simpler for my project to create
>my own system as follows:
>
>1) Open XML learning module as text file
>2) Parse file using string handling regexpressions of PHP or ASP/Javascript
>3) Fire parsed data into one of 5 body templates as defined in the XML file

oy. i think you're greatly oversimplifying #2 there. there is a lot
involved in "parse file". your lack of headaches will thank me when i
say: use what's already been done for you.

asp has a msxml object which takes about 5 lines
php has xml functions that's similarly easy to use

>I am wondering if this is significantly slower and what potential risks are with this system vs a traditional database (which is
>available) or using a language's inbuilt XML parser such as that in PHP?

yeah, it's probably slower too since you're using script code rather than
compiled objects or native functions

either way, good luck.

--
mattwarden