[thelist] hiding CSS

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Sun Apr 14 20:47:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm updating my site, and have a question about hiding CSS
from old browsers.

Until I saw what a mess MacIE4.5 made of the page, I was using
the @import "stylesheet.css";   method to hide stylesheets. But
according to the page below, the @import url("stylesheet.css");
hides CSS from WinIE4 and lower, Netscape 4.x, and Mac IE4.5.

http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/import/

I've confirmed that the method hides CSS from Netscape 4.x , and
MacIE4.5. But the stylesheet is showing in WinIE4, so either the
page is wrong or my version of IE4 is suspect. The latter is possible
since I'm running WinIE4 in "compatibility" mode (as an add-on to
IE5), so that it may understand things that a "true" version of IE
wouldn't.

Would someone with a "true" standalone version of WinIE4 please
visit the above page and let me whether the method does hide the
stylesheets.

thanks in advance,

Duncan O'Neill
The Urban Legend magazine