[thelist] vertical text css?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Apr 15 09:12:01 CDT 2002

> I have a table in a word doc (oh joy!!) to put on a web site.
> The table is 13 cols x 194 rows. My main problem is that the
> column headings are quite long and this means the table is very wide

hi julian

there are six basic solutions

1. use images for column headings

you said you didn't wanna

2. use IE-proprietary syntax

this would work fine on an IE-only intranet, and if you're really
interested, the best i can do is refer you to http://microsoft.com for
details

3. use A, B, C, etc., as column headings, and then place a legend under the
table --

   A= this year's consolidated earnings before tax and unusual items
   B= last year's net profits after accounting for the president's bonus
   C= ratio A/B to the price of tea in china

you don't actually have to use A, B, C -- user-recognizable abbreviations
are often sufficient, and may make the full descriptions in the legend
unnecessary

4. split it up into several tables

this is my personal favourite -- it places the focus on determining the
importance of each and every column, and whether 13 of them all at once
might not be information overload

redesign the UI and everybody's happy, and you won't have any vertical text
neither

5. damn the users, let 'em scroll

6. don't convert to html, place the word doc on the web site

i included the last two because although they are offensive, they work

rudy
http://rudy.ca/