[thelist] SSI not working on MacIE5 browsers

William Kolean williamkolean at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 15:17:01 CDT 2002

The include file - which is viewable from
http://advertising.wsj.com/marketing_stories/include.html - only has basic
HTML table rows written by a CGI each morning with nothing fancier than
onMouseOver and onMouseOut (and removing those didn't help).

MacIE5 doesn't seem to have an option to use HTTP1.1, but using HTTP1.0 on
WinIE didn't cause any errors on that platform.

It it would seem that on the Mac the first time you view a page it will
render correctly, and when you refresh you get the server error. I created a
test page that is as basic as possible -
http://advertising.wsj.com/simple.shtml and the first time you view it on
the Mac it works, but hitting refresh causes the error - in OS9 and X.

We're going to re-write the CGI to do away with SSIs for this site, but it
would be nice to understand what is going wrong. The problem didn't occur
until they moved the server to a new box, so it has to be something on the
server end that is causing this (and it is, after all, the server that
produces the error message) but since only MacIE5 shows the problem, the
server admins are calling it a Mac problem and leaving it at that.

William