[thelist] SSI not working on MacIE5 browsers

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:14:00 CDT 2002

>The include file - which is viewable from
>http://advertising.wsj.com/marketing_stories/include.html - only has basic
>HTML table rows written by a CGI each morning with nothing fancier than
>onMouseOver and onMouseOut (and removing those didn't help).
>
>It it would seem that on the Mac the first time you view a page it will
>render correctly, and when you refresh you get the server error. I created
>a test page that is as basic as possible -
>http://advertising.wsj.com/simple.shtml and the first time you view it on
>the Mac it works, but hitting refresh causes the error - in OS9 and X.
>
>We're going to re-write the CGI to do away with SSIs for this site, but it
>would be nice to understand what is going wrong.

Do you use POST anywhere in the include call? Or even a query string?

I can't help but think about something else I've noted only in IE5Mac: when
I reload a page that's the output of a POST request, every browser asks
whether I want to repost the form data, except for IE5Mac which just gives
an empty table without the data.

Apparently IE5Mac cannot re-post data at all. Though I don't immediately see
what this has to do with your problem, it's in the same browser in roughly
similar circumstances.

Hope this helps,

ppk