[thelist] Re: Barcode Readers in ASP web apps?

Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz eduardobk at via-rs.net
Mon Apr 15 22:26:24 CDT 2002

>Has anyone else done this before?  With JUST ASP and DHTML?  From my
>understanding, barcode readers emuluate keyboard strokes, so my initial
>thought was to use DHTML, capture a special unused keyboard character like
>the "~" key via the onKeypress method, trap the ID# and have the ASP page
>process it accordingly.  What do you guys think?

I think you just need html and javascript (to check when the size of a
field is full, meaning the code was scaned).
I've done some barcode scaning stuff, and the only difference I see is that
you are using web.
Most of the barcode readers are like keyboards (like you said), so it would
be the same as if the user had typed.

>ActiveX controls scare me, but I'm willing to learn it if it'll make my job
>that much easier.

What a bad idea ;)

>Any help would be MUCH appreciated, since I can't find any resources on
>google.  Thanks!

What do you need exactly?

>-- Ernie
>
>(Incidentally, people at the company find the idea of typing in seven digit
>ID numbers and pressing a submit button horrifying there.  Yet, they want
>the application as web enabled.  Hrm...)

Well, I've done barcoding stuff for a client which would have to type 6
digits, but depending of the volume of service, that helps.

Sorry about my english ;)

Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz - from Brazil