Rudy: [thelist] Date and Time issue Worldwide

Rob Smith rob.smith at thermon.com
Tue Apr 16 11:11:01 CDT 2002

> ... Enterprise Manager with SQL Server 7 automatically
> puts in American format: MM/DD/YYYY. ex:
>      5/8/02 -->> 5/8/2002
>     26/2/79 -->> 2/26/1979 (*my b-day* I know, I'm young)

what does "puts in" mean?

Inserts into

getting dates out in the format of your choice is not really a problem,
because you can use the "style" parameter of the CONVERT function -- if you
want english format, i suggest style 103

and just how do I do this?

this leaves inserting dates, which is where i think you're having the
difficulty

is there any reason why you cannot enter dates in ISO format as suggested?

Yes. I entered the ISO format and it still gave me the American format
MM/DD/YYYY

   when the language is set to us_english, the default
   order for the date is mdy

   you can change the date order with the SET DATEFORMAT
   statement, which determines how date values are
   interpreted

How? When I first open the query? Or do I enter this if and when I do DTS in
EM?

rob