[thelist] Scope document - need help writing one

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Wed Apr 17 12:12:01 CDT 2002

tara,

> So how do I write out something that explains exactly what
> I'll build in the site without it being so long, detailed and
> incomprehensible that they don't read it?

make it long, detailed and (maybe) incomprehensible. if they don't want
to read it, or try to understand it, then that's surely on their head.

> What do y'all put
> in a scope document, and how do you present the info so
> people who aren't tech-savvy can understand it? And lastly,
> but perhaps most importantly, how do I get them to pay
> attention to what I've written?

make sure you include everything you are and things you aren't doing if
necessary. if it becomes long and detailed then you are producing a
complex document for what sounds like a complex site. it's not your
fault.

if you want them to read it and understand it quickly and easily,
especially if they have little web savvy, then accompany it with a
smaller, easier to read explanation document. ensure you point out that
it is nothing more than a guide to the main document to help them - the
detail remains in the main document.

> I usually am dealing with very small companies or individual
> professionals, so they don't have a huge marketing budget, or
> staff who are savvy about this sort of thing.

you still have to make sure you tell them what you are doing, no matter
how complex it is, so you are covered in the unfortunate event that your
client turns out to be a jackass. which, as you probably know, happens
more often than not...

benji
inchima.com