[thelist] Scope document - need help writing one

Ken Kogler ken at kenkogler.com
Wed Apr 17 12:17:01 CDT 2002

Tara said:

> However, I'm having trouble with a number of my clients, not
> quite getting it.

She also mentioned:

> I usually am dealing with very small companies or individual
> professionals..., so they don't have a huge marketing budget,
> or staff who are savvy about this sort of thing.

Or a big legal department! Which means a bold-print sentence saying "the
outline is exactly what you're getting for my quoted price... Nothing
more, nothing less" right on the top of the first page outta do it. Just
make sure you point that sentence out a few times to them...

Confusing them with legalese doesn't really help them any. Clients (no
matter how thick-headed) are people just like you, only without web-dev
skills. They don't want to read 20 pages saying the same thing as that
one clear sentence any more than you want to write it (or shell out the
money for the lawyer to do it).

-Ken