[thelist] Trouble with .htaccess Redirects and a Tip

sasha sasha at bittersweet2.com
Wed Apr 17 12:31:00 CDT 2002

We had a similar issue on my web sites.  I believe what
you are looking for is "UseCanonicalName".  O'Reilly's
Apache book says you can use it in .htaccess, and by
default should be on (for some reason, ours wasn't on).
Maybe try toggling it on|off?

Christy "sasha" Siepker
http://bittersweet2.com

http://myDomain.com/newdirectory/
>> Redirect permanent /olddirectory
http://myDomain.com/newdirectory/

>> The first one should catch anyone who has a trailing
slash, and the
>> second should catch anyone who doesn't.
>
>Yes, I've tried them together. Your suggestion is an
intuitive one, but
>Apache doesn't work like that. Instead, as I said in my
last post, when I do
>combine the two rules if someone types in olddirectory/
they're sent to