[thelist] How do you validate an A link with a "target"?

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Wed Apr 17 18:42:01 CDT 2002

When I was in the process of setting up some websites I was using
target="_blank" to open some pages, then decided to scrap that, largely
to discussion on this list as well as others.

reasons I think target="" is bad:

(personal) I disabled pop-ups in Opera 6 and that kills the link for me
anyway unless I specify a new one, so why not save 16 chars per anchor
used? Every bit counts. (I know, horrible pun.)

Others: It seemed like a violation of other peoples resources to open a
whole other instance of a browser just to see that link. Example, at my
'day' job many stations use SparcStations with SunOS with 16 megs of
RAM, opening a whole other instance of netscape 4 pretty much turns a
box into mush.

Even if you do have the resources it is 'your' computer not 'mine' and
you should be able to open another instance on your own if you so
desire, but it shouldn't be forced on you.

And as others have mentioned, I think target="" is part of the frameset
DTD not the strict. And even though it valieates in transitional it
doesn't really belong any place except in strict.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - Open Source, Public Service