[thelist] php and gdbm

kristina kristina at kfx-design.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 09:29:01 CDT 2002

Dear list,

  I am completely and utterly confused!  I'm trying to create a
  database using php.  Its a very simple database (as its my first
  ever!)

  I'm using some code that was left by a programmer who has now upped
  sticks and is going round the world!  What puzzles me is that he's
  used gdbm, whereas virtually every other thing I look at uses MySQL
  (my apologies if I get the wording wrong, I don't completely
  understand what I'm doing!).

  I can't find any tutorials about 'gdbm' and how to use it.  I've
  copied the code but I can't get it to connect and I don't know why.
  So I've also tried doing it using MySQL and that won't connect
  either.  This leaves me to assume I'm doing something wrong.

  The gdbm error is
    Unkown error type: [2] driver initialization failed
    http://www.kfx-design.co.uk/testarea/admin/dbconnectest.php

  Which I've been told means that gdbm isn't supported on this server,
  which makes no sense as this very same code is being used in another
  place on the SAME server (head spinning).

  the MySQL error just tells me the database can't connect.
    http://www.kfx-design.co.uk/admintest/

  What I would like to know is, should I continue using gdbm?  Bearing
  in mind I'm a total beginner, and most tutorials out there seem to
  use MySQL.  Also if anyone knows how or why I can't get this to
  work, I'll be endlessly grateful.

  I hope I've explained myself sufficiently.  Apologies for the
  longwindeness of this post and for taking up thelist, I seem to have
  been using it 'alot' lately!

  :o)

--
tia