[thelist] site check/critique request

Ken Kogler ken at kenkogler.com
Fri Apr 19 02:50:01 CDT 2002

##################
## TESTED WITH: ##
##################

IE6/WinXP
Moz0.9/WinXP
Opera6/WinXP

###################################
##       GENERAL COMMENTS        ##
## (in no particular order...    ##
##      except that first one!)  ##
###################################

My first impression is "ack - that's a lot of content!" There's a whole
lot of text on that first page.

Took a minute to find "learn about fyuze" in all that mess... Perhaps
that info would be better served as being on your homepage, and the
boxes from the current homepage (google search, wired news...) could be
moved to some kind of "fyuze demo" page.

IANAL, but your "Sorry" logo (see <http://fyuze.com/core/alert.php>)
might have to go if the lawyers from Hasbro find out...

The bottom navigation in the gray bar could improve with a bit more
whitespace (or gray-space, as the case may be) between each link... It
all runs together on my monitor.

Your site does not validate using the doctype you've supplied
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//fyuze.com/zero/>.

#############################
## BROWSER-SPECIFIC ISSUES ##
#############################

You warned me about this in your post, but the layout is DESTROYED in
Opera6. (screenshot: <http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/ss1.jpg>) Your FAQ
mentions that Opera support is non-existent, but a much less complex
stylesheet should do the trick just fine. Hell - just give 'em plain
text. But give Opera (and NN4.x users - there's a lot!) *SOMETHING*
halfway legible.

Some of the boxes (Google, Login, and Plastic.com) have an abnormal
amount of whitespace beneath them in Mozilla (screenshot:
<http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/ss2.jpg> the blue bg is there just for
clarification... Top is IE, below is Moz. Here's a fullscreen Moz shot:
<http://www.kenkogler.com/evolt/ss3.jpg>).

## FINAL THOUGHTS ##

I didn't register for fyuze. Not because it doesn't seem like a good
service, but because I actually do enjoy going out and getting the
information myself. It gives me something to do in the mornings. :-)

Overall, it seems like a pretty solid system. Nice work.

-Ken Kogler