[thelist] Spam traps

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Fri Apr 19 10:25:01 CDT 2002

> I think the idea behind it is to fill email harvesters with
> large quantities of useless data, ie: non-existant randomly
> generated email addresses, thus rendering the complete list
> useless (what's real, what's not etc)
>
> Although a few email harvesting tools now have 'spam-bait
> detection' which tries to avoid such traps, but I do not know
> how effective these are.

true, but i don't think the webmaster of zonny.com, as well as others,
will be too happy about a valid email address being put on the page.
there's bound to be a few real email addresses in there amongst all the
non-real ones. a bunch of random letters will make a real word in the
end...

benji
inchima.com