[thelist] How do you validate an A link with a "target"?

Martin Tsachev shaggy at members.evolt.org
Fri Apr 19 11:56:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:48:21 -0500, Luther, Ron wrote:
>Is there some syntax that will give me "open this link in a new window"
>functionality that will validate to 4.01 strict?
>
>I was trying the <a target="foo" href="bar?one=1&two=2">Here</a> and the w3c
>validator says it doesn't like "target".  [It didn't really care for the
>ampersand either.]
>
>I tried the 4.01 Transitional ... and it doesn't like something about my
>ampersand.

First you don't want the link to open in a new window because visitors to your
site don't want that. If it is something like a sidebar in another window that
you want to be a specific size use JavaScript to do it "onclick" do NOT set the
href to javascript:something.

The ampersand should be &amp; no matter it is in an URI the browser will handle
it.

Martin Tsachev
http://members.evolt.org/shaggy/