[thelist] Flash MX in a corporate site?

Stéphane Gosselin stef at cfusions.com
Sat Apr 20 14:42:00 CDT 2002

Hey. Tried out FLASH MX,  was truly amazed. Within 2 hours, no prior
knowledge of the product,  I had myself a beautiful Mysql/PHP driven
multi-level menu .... built from SCRATCH. Inlcudes the db-setup, the php
script that tampers the xml file needed by the menu component.

Now. The sad part is..... does not export in FLASH5 FORMAT. Hmmm.

A menu element wich can only be accessed by the users having FlashPlayer 6
installed makes that element .. unusable on a commercial point of view,
IMHO.....

oh well. Nice work, Macro-M, but this dude will be waiting a few months (
if not a year or 2 ) for the player to be installed on an acceptable
percentage of clients. MM seems very aggressive on making this product more
friendly to developers, it s too bad that it ain t ACCESSIBLE enough yet
for the average everyday surfer as a whole.

By the time it DOES become installed on an acceptable number of web enabled
devices, like 80% +, whre one could just provide a dynamic html version for
the remaining 10%, my guess is a new FLASH_WOW_MORE_TOYS will be put out,
making us drool some more for things that, again, we won t be able to use.
Isn t this a funny developpement cycle?

Backwards compatibility would have been appreciated, but it's a tough nut
to crack on products of that nature.

My 2 cents.