[thelist] overflow: auto/scroll

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 20 16:26:01 CDT 2002

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> do i recall correctly that you own a pair of powerpuff girl boxer
> briefs?

they're boxers, not boxer-briefs...

[...]
> > > it's not the padding that does it by itself.  it's the
> > > setting of the overflow-x and overflow-y to different
> > > values *with* the padding.
> >
> > except in IE5.5, it didn't work... it may have in IE6,
> > but not in IE5.5...
>
> not in ie5.5 eh?  very odd indeed.  it removes the vertical scrollbar
> in ie5.0.
>
> it also removes it just fine on a version of ie5.5 that i just tried
> too.
>
> add nn6 to that and that's 2 browsers, 3 versions of 1 of them that
> all have a vertical scrollbar only, no horizontal.
>
> again, using this:
>
>     overflow-x: auto;
>     overflow-y: visible;
>     padding-bottom: 25px;
>     width: 98%;

so i dumped what i had (overflow : auto ;) and replaced it with what you have
(overflow-x: auto;overflow-y: visible;) and it breaks it in N6 (N6.2, rv 0.9.4,
win2k)... now the content slides off the window, outside of the bounding <pre>
borders, causing an overall window horizontal scrollbar...  same thing happens
in Mozilla 0.9.9...

it *does*, however, remove the vertical scrollbar in IE5.5/win2k... why it didn't
before is beyond me (perhaps a cache issue?)...

so, works in IE5.5, breaks in N6.2...

[...]
> overflow: visible gave you a vertical scrollbar?  it didn't for me --
> nn6.2.1 (moz 0.9.4).  what version are you seeing it in?

in N6.2 and moz 0.9.9, no... it now just lets it spill out of the <pre>...

> to me, this looks like a doable solution for the majority of your
> browsing audience.  the next step is to make sure it doesn't bomb for
> any of the rest -- especially mac/ie.

not there yet, still trying to get it to work ideally, then scale it back as
needed...

same URL if anyone else is innerested:
http://roselli.org/adrian/articles/browser_stats_1.asp

ugh.