[thelist] website web site

Lee Fleming lee at infopulsellc.com
Sun Apr 21 13:02:01 CDT 2002

>>The Associated Press Style Guide mandates that it be written "Web site"
>>(with a capital W).

>>That's about as authoritative as I can think of.

The AP Style Guide? Why would that ever be considered authoritative for
online media? It was never, and is still not meant to be, used as a guide
for online media.

The Web Content Style Guide: An Essential Reference for Online Writers,
Editors and Managers by Gerry McGovern, Rob Norton, & Catherine O'Dowd was
published in March of this year. (Read more about it at
http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/). According to this guide, which IS meant for
online media, the correct usage is:

website

No capital letter. One word.