[thelist] How do you validate an A link with a "target"?

Miriam Frost miriam at members.evolt.org
Mon Apr 22 09:31:00 CDT 2002

> >I think we all need to come back to the Golden Happy Rule #1 of Web
Design:
> >"It depends."  :)

> I'm not 100% sure about other visitors( who can be anyway) but the only
place I
> want links to open in a new window for me is Google.
> By the way how would you explain the "new browser features" like Accept
popup
> windows: Yes/No/Background in Opera( maybe in other browsers too).

See, again, it depends. Those pop-up killers (I use one, too!) are mostly
aimed at pop-up advertisements. I'm talking about opening new windows from
sites that are specifically directory-oriented links like the Google results
you mentioned -- on blogs, on search results, or a directory of possibly
helpful links related to subject X. Used with consideration, they can be
really nice. Used for advertising or mouse trapping, it's enough to make a
user never ever come back.

wheee, it's Monday.
Miriam

PS -- I know I've heard enough times on this list and elsewhere where
power-users complain of having to make one. teensy. extra. click. to get
somewhere; somehow they don't mind this one... :D

--
http://www.dynagirl.com/
Scratchin' in the Glitter Box since 1971!