[thelist] ASP: WriteLine optimization?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Apr 22 11:39:01 CDT 2002

Hi Gang,

I'm pretty sure this has come up before, and if I remember correctly there were some nice guidelines/suggestions for optimizing ASP [fileobject.WriteLine "stuff"] lines.

I'm working on an application that pulls information out of an Oracle database and then cycles through the recordset, creating a number of static html files;

* so I've got a section in a loop that creates all of the DTD, header CSS, and 'set-up' stuff whenever a new file is called for.
* another, similar section to 'close out' the previous file.
* and the loop that creates the data lines themselves in the open detail files.

There are a whole bunch of [fileobject.WriteLine "stuff"] lines.

Is there a better/faster/more efficient way?

Are separate lines:

[fileobject.WriteLine "<p>Line One</p>" & chr(13)]
[fileobject.WriteLine "<p>Line Four</p>" & chr(13)]

... more or less efficient than long compound lines:

[fileobject.WriteLine "<p>Line One</p>" & chr(13) & _
	"<p>Line Two</p>" & chr(13) & _
	.... & _
	"<p>Line Four</p>" & chr(13)]

Thanks!

RonL.
(Yeah!  You're right!  I shoulda paid closer attention the last time this came up!)