[thelist] How do you validate an A link with a "target"?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Mon Apr 22 16:57:01 CDT 2002

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the shortened link idea.  I will give that a whirl!

Why do I care?  Hmmm.  Good Question.  Mostly pride I guess.  I usually work on an Intranet - and I usually don't get an opportunity to play with either HTML or ASP. I generally build/repair enterprise reports using a tool called Brio. This project is for an Extranet, so this time I don't know what browsers the end users may actually end up using.  Also ... my name will be associated with the project, so I would really like the end-code to validate. [I'd also like to get WAI conformance, but I'm not sure I'll have time to do that.]  I'm hoping "valid" code will have fewer ongoing maintenance issues than the "non-valid" code I was handed as an example to work from.  I'm also, [in a small way], tweaking the noses of the folks who designed this system.

As to the popup windows ... as Miriam said "it depends".  This particular application is a series of customer reports.  {It's not for the general public - it's for a very specialized "corporate" audience.}  The sales order number field in each report will be a hyperlink to a different application on a different system ... and that will open in a new window.  Because of that, and because this system [with these popups] has been rolled out to some customers in Europe already [I'm extending things and using global data and a different technology - they used Business Objects, I'm using ASP] ... I really don't feel too bad about keeping the popups.  In *this* context, I really don't believe they are that offensive. [Of course - I'll never be allowed to talk directly to the customer to find out --- but that's my call on it.]

Thanks again!

RonL.
(It's not blindingly fast yet - but it's mostly working.  I had to wimp out on one of the files and settle for "Transitional" validation ... but the rest validate as  "strict" or [dare I say it] "frameset".)