[thelist] Flash MX in a corporate site?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Mon Apr 22 17:13:07 CDT 2002

You can export to older SWF format versions, and can now also "Save As" to
a FLA5 authoring version as well.

As Erik pointed out, the older formats don't know of some of the new
features, so it's good to incrementally test assumptions if delivering to a
back version.

Some high-value commercial sites went to the new Player immediately. The
last Player reached majority consumer viewership within a half-year, and I
expect the adoption rate for this version to be even swifter.

> Backwards compatibility would have been appreciated, but
> it's a tough nut to crack on products of that nature.

It's not product maturity so much as distributed capability. Unlike
standalone applications, here you're just delivering a document, and
relying on each visitor having a capable rendering engine.

For instance, CSS has the same problem, but a much slower adoption rate
than Flash.

jd

John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA US