[thelist] Semi-OT: Printing from a Stored Proc: MSSQL7

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Mon Apr 22 18:18:01 CDT 2002

Greetings!

I am in the last phase of converting what used to be a Microsoft Access
"Switchboard" application to an Intranet application written in Cold
Fusion. I am stuck however on one part.

The short version:
This is for a membership organization which requires renewal once per year
and issues printed membership cards on pre-perforated cards.  The old
application had a report in it by which a report could be triggered to
print all cards based on the value of two fields. This "report" would also
reset these two fields, and set a field named "CardPrinted" to the current
date.

The old system used an Access database, this was upsized to MSSQL server
version 7.

I know how to write the query to reset fields, that's not a problem. What I
would *like* to do is figure out some way that I can setup a (Stored
procedure?) query or something that would go through on xx day of the month
and print the items that need to be printed, without user interaction. Is
this possible? If someone can even point me in the direction of how to get
it to loop through a record set and print each one to a pre-defined
printer, that's fine too.

Currently, they are using a combination of the old interface to print the
cards, and the new one to reset fields (The old application cannot make
changes to the new database,  it is only allowed read access.) This
requires two steps, and ideally it would be one.

I am at a loss because I am not real sure what keywords I should start with
here.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Susan Wallace

<tip type="book recommendation">
If you are interested in building a community online, the book "Design for
Community: the art of connecting real people in virtual places" by Derek M.
Powazek is an excellent resource. It is well written, easy to read and
understand, and has real-world examples from businesses and online
communities included in each chapter. If you do get the book, definitely
consider the "user survey" suggestion on page 8 in the tip inset. Just as
he says, you may be surprised at what responses you get. (Note: I first
found out about this book through this list.)
</tip>