[thelist] Virus Alert [not [OT]]

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Tue Apr 23 10:55:00 CDT 2002

m u i n a r wrote:
<quote>
At 22:08 22.04.02 +0100, you wrote:
>Regrettably the latest versions of some viruses don't need opening to
>execute, as I understand it they can work in preview pane and don't
actually
>need to be opened.

AFAIK this is addressed by unchecking 'allow executables in HTML content'
(that's how the option is called in Eudora - does Outlook have this
option?).

Please correct me if I'm wrong   ;)
</quote>

I honestly don't know. My inboxes (I have IMAP and POP accounts in Outlook
they get different inboxes) have preview pane and auto-preview turned off.

I did this because once I was sent a large HTML email by a client that
effectively put me out of business for half a day as it crashed Outlook. As
it was the first item in the inbox and Outlook was (used to be) set to open
the inbox on opening I couldn't get in.

Much gnashing of teeth follows, followed by backing up a gig of email,
reinstall Outlook change the settings and got on with my life...

Don't know how this tip stuff really works buy here goes...

<tip type="Checking email your weary of" author="Liam Delahunty">
So you've got an email from someone you've never heard of. Common sense to
bin it, but you want to know what it says... it could be that all important
deal...

Drag the email from outlook onto the desktop, then select the message file
(with a right click) and "Open With" notepad. You'll get some gunk up the
top, but the message should be viewable further down.
</tip>

Kind regards,
Liam