[thelist] To _blank or not to _blank

Daniel Medley dm at lgcy.com
Tue Apr 23 13:34:01 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:
*****
> my average client *loves* links that open in new windows, because
> they feel people never leave their site... they are partially right...
> and they're the client... so they get links that open in new
> windows...
>
> on some techie-oriented sites on which i'm working hav a different
> audience -- the IE shift-clickers... those users will always surf in
> new windows on their own, because it's easier to assume the
> developer hasn't done that, and they prefer a new window for every
> link (i'm one of those)...
>
> for them, targets are moot... so i leave 'em out... and not just
> because they're moot, but because that way the user can decide
> because the user *knows how* to decide...
*****
I don't really care if someone leaves this particular site or not, it just
seems as more of a convenience than anything. There are several
informational links in a column and I was thinking that surfers would like
to click on a link, peruse it, and then close the window and go to the next
link without having to click the back button and wait for the page to load
again... but,  like I said, I'm basing this on my preferences and I would
hate to impose my preferences on others. Maybe I'll rethink it. hmm....
Daniel