[thelist] To _blank or not to _blank

Joel Canfield Joel at spinhead.com
Wed Apr 24 00:49:01 CDT 2002

>rudy will ravenously reply that opening new windows is evil...
>i will agree, but i do it anyway...

rudy-defier

>however, it depends on your audience...

somewhat. on my music blog, I'm assuming (hoping) someone will actually want
to finish the article, but might want to check a link on their way. click
it, close it, continue reading.

yeah, you can always do something do force it to open in a new window, but
I'm not sure how many people know that, or if they know it, how many think
about it. In this case *I* want the external content in another window and
I'm only partially concerned what the user wants (I'm pushy and selfish.)

On a commercial site, I would do what the client wants, but try to urge them
to consider the usability issues with links opening in a new window, and
only do so with good reason.

joel