[thelist] MySQL Import Data

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Apr 24 12:30:01 CDT 2002

Howdy party goers!

OK, I am moving a rather large database to another server, so I did
mysqldump --opt which save the entire database. Moved that file to the new
server (it is in excess of 2.1 Gb). Now I cannot get it to import after
trying numerous standard methods. I was going to run it as a script, but it
does not have the CREATE or USE sentence at the beginning of the file, so it
fails. I cannot find a way to open the file to insert the line (vi, emacs,
pico, WORD, etc.) all choke on the file due to its size. Anyone have any
insight as to what I might be able to do just short of running each
individual table / dataset with mysqldump --tab option?

THanks!

Jay