[thelist] scrolling horizontal screen scripts

Bird bird at koolfish.com
Fri Apr 26 02:50:01 CDT 2002

>> A client of mine wants a website that functions the same as this
>> site: http://www.beautifullyblue.com/

Freda wrote:
You mean a site that spawns a new window with no browser controls; with
text at a size I can't read comfortably and when I resize it I have to
scroll right to get the content; and the so called navigation guide at
the bottom doesn't work? IE 5.1 on Mac OS X.

Yes!
Thanks for this feedback about what does not work.
The reason for the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom I presume is if
you don't have javascript enabled you can still see the content. I don't
have a problem with the horizontal scroll as you are only scrolling one
way, its just not the norm. Horizontal scroll works well such as at:
http://www.gawow.com/folio/ but I realise that it is not every bodies
cup of tea, my husband hates them.

So if this does not work on Mac OS IE 5 any suggestions as to what will?

aardvark wrote:
I've tried that in the past, and users never see the damn scrolly, and
they get confused about the page and back buttons and stuff...

I agree, I actually found it a bit confusing to start with until I
worked it out, but what to do when the client absolutely insists that he
wants it like that? You can reason till your blue in the face sometimes
with lots of evidence to back up your claims and it does not make a
blind bit of difference.

I think it could be made to work and be less confusing if they had a few
more subtle pointers as to how to use the sub nav bar.

Thanks for all those who have replied so far.

Lisa