[thelist] ASP:: Personal Info > Write to Text or Email off?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Fri Apr 26 16:49:01 CDT 2002

Hi Kevin,

I think Ryan is pretty much right.  If the client's IT department is not going to allow the Web server to access a database, they are probably not going to allow write access to a file on the Web server either ... and if this is being done without their knowledge and involvement it's probably not going to be pleasant for either of you.

I think I'd prefer requesting a meeting involving you, the client, and IT ... explain the business need you are trying to meet and ask for recommendations on how they want you to handle that.

Good Luck, sounds like a tough one!

RonL.

-----Original Message-----
From: kevin D. white [mailto:simplecypher at bitshift.ws]

The client's IT department absolutely, categorically, under pain of death
refuses to allow the Web server to access a database of any kind.  Doesn't
matter what type of database or if the database is local on the box or
remote.  No database, period, period.

Here's the problem:

I have a form that collects personally identifiable information (Name,
email address, phone number).  I Really want to store that data in a
remote, secure database.  Since I can't do that, my client wants me to
store that personal data on a SINGLE TEXT FILE on the server.  I am
lobbying very hard to just email that stuff off right to client.