[thelist] possibility for securing txt db

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Sat Apr 27 09:17:00 CDT 2002

Kevin ---

I'm not sure your e-mail address is disguised or not, but in any case
you should get this through the list. This past week I have been
investigating PHP and security, among many other issues. I came across
this page, which might help (I can't tell from your description):

 http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.require.php
which includes a letter from Russ at zerotech dot net about storing
information privately, securely. I also have a site running a PHP
program which generates little txt files, with one little ID/password
for protection, and I'm thinking of implementing his suggestion.

Also, of course, if you had something like APL or J, the txt file is
instantly a db -- something I'm sure your IT folks don't have a clue
about. They must have been "educated" in an tech college/dept sometime
in the past 15 years. (-8

Btw, it's good to encrypt... but do you realize that by encrypting lots
and lots of messages, with predictable text included in the message,
you make it easier for interested parties to break the entire
encryption scheme?

Cheers --
Carol Stein
techwatcher