[thelist] copyright help

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sat Apr 27 11:23:01 CDT 2002

> Now, my question is, where do I stand on this matter? I am only 16 years
> old, so law is over my head, espcially when it comes to the intricacies of
> international law and copyrighting. I replied saying that I would stop use
> of the name.

Jake,

You've just created a written agreement to do something.  I'm not a legal
expert, by any means, but it may be in your best interest to buy a new
domain and rename your site for a while... at least until you get some real
expert advice.  The fact that 1) you've replied, 2) you've agreed to do
something, basically bind you to that course of action.  The fact that you
are not really being strong-armed (physical harm, etc) into it will make
your acknowledgement of his plan of action more solid.

I'm not sure how this will end up, but it's almost always better to delay
of business until after your initial discovery period.  If you do not follow
through with what you have said you will do, there could potentially be
grounds for legal action.

You might check out some of the international law surrounding copyright,
trademarks, etc.  Because you are in the UK and the other party may not be,
you may be able to find some sort of loop hole or come to some agreement.
Often times, if your business goals are different enough (or you are not for
profit), then you may be able to convince them that you are not a threat.
Heck, you might even offer to put a link to their site!  Also, if they are a
small company they may not have a large budget for a lawyer, and you do not
have assets (as is the case for MOST 16 year olds) then it'll end up costing
them a lot to take you to court--for almost no gain.

-joshua