[thelist] Free tip: securing your online store

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Sat Apr 27 13:58:01 CDT 2002

> The only place I know of that requires this is Priceline.com - and that's
> not first hand, I had a friend tell me that she was not able to make a
> purchase there because her CC did not have the 3 digits on the back, so
she
> had to call her bank and get them to issue her a new card...

I just did a cc-processing site for a non-profit where we have a field for
the 3-digit number.  Using Authorize.net, we can set up the transaction to
be rejected if the card should have the number and they don't put in the
number.  (Meaning, cards without the number would go through if they don't
put in the number).

I think it's either Visa or Mastercard cards that were only required to have
the number if they were issued after Jan. 2001 (the other one has had it
required for several years), so there are probably quite a few older cards
out there without the number. [Although, all my cards, even the older ones,
have it on there]

Basically, on the form, we tell customers that if your card has the number,
it is required.

Scott